Our natural treat range was kindly reviewed by the team at WildPaws! Wilbur & Paisley officially gave Dogs of Britain their seal of approval! See what they said about out doggy drooling dog treats below!
Why Not Turn Your Love for Pets Into a Business?
by Linda Chase
If you love animals and have an entrepreneurial spirit, starting a business that supports or directly handles pets could be the ideal career path. More than ever, pet owners are looking for ways to keep their furballs healthy and happy,
meaning there are ample opportunities in the industry to make money.
Below, we share some practical insight into how you can lay a firm foundation for a thriving pet business!
Determine Your Pet Care Specialty
Let’s start with a brief look into the various pet niches worth exploring:
- Pet Grooming: Many pet owners love to get their four-legged companions pampered by a professional groomer. With
the proper experience and skills, you could thrive as a pet groomer in your community. Just remember that you need
to be able to keep them calm and comfortable so that you can make them look pretty!
- Pet Sitting or Dog Walking: One of the least strenuous pet care jobs is pet sitting, which also happens to be one of the easiest ways to get your feet wet in the pet care industry. Pet sitting is precisely as it sounds: babysitting for pets. As
long as you love being around furballs and you are able to take care of basic necessities (e.g., play, potty times,
feeding, etc.), and you could build a business as a pet sitter.
If you love to go for walks and you love dogs, becoming a dog walker could be right up your alley. Many professionals
and entrepreneurs, or people who live in urban areas, need dog walkers to keep their furry family members happy and healthy. An added benefit to this profession is that you get some great exercise yourself!
- Dog Training: Most dogs need some level of training so that their owners don’t have to deal with destructive behavior. But it’s also essential for keeping dogs safe. By becoming a dog trainer, you can ensure that the dogs obey commands from their owner, which will keep both parties happier and safer in the long run.
Get Ready for the Business Side of Things
Once you have an idea of the pet care niche you will serve, follow these steps to help you start strong:
- Research the Market: Most communities could use more pet care services, but you will want to confirm that your
business idea can bring a profit where you live. For example, if there are several other pet bakeries in the area, you
may want to go another route or at least gauge the potential of building a customer base first.
- Write a Business Plan: Every business needs a good business plan because it guides decision-making for the first several years. And if you need to raise capital for startup expenses and growth opportunities, a business plan will be downright critical. Take time to create a document that outlines your mission statement, core services, products or services description, target market, marketing strategy, funding needs, and other essential details.
- Develop a Marketing Strategy: As mentioned, you will need to define your target customers so that you know who you are marketing to. You will also need to create a professional website that shows potential customers what exactly it is
- Create Customer Contracts: If you need to create contracts for your customers, PDFs are a safe and secure way to
share these with clients. You can easily convert a Google doc and download it as a PDF. PDFs also allow for electronic
Your site should be attractive, easy to use, and help your company stand out from the crowd. Furthermore, be sure to
explore any online and local marketing channels and opportunities that can help you build a reputation in the
industry. Social media is vital to a successful marketing strategy, so set up business accounts on the major platforms
that appeal to your demographic.
The need for pet care is nothing new but has never been more pressing than it is right now. Pet owners are more
willing to pay for services and products than ever before. If you are ready to merge your love for pets with your
entrepreneurial spirit, start implementing the tips above to start off strong!